Saturday, June 22, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I asked Andrew last friday if he wanted some sort of treat for Fathers Day. We had already picked out all the special meals but I wanted to make a favourite dessert. He chose strawberry Rhubarb pie, I love to eat it and hate making the dough. I thought I found a fool proof recipe from the Pioneer Woman but then I tried the dough from Smitten Kitchen and it was amazing. When I was trying to gather it into a ball and it kept crumbling I thought it was going to be a disaster but I kind of forced it together and put it into the fridge  to chill.

When it was time to roll I was pleasantly surprised that it rolled out perfectly. I have never had a pie that didn't fall apart at some point or another.


With some crazy cheap strawberries and garden rhubarb this was probably the best thing about the weekend. I now dream about this strawberry rhubarb pie all the time. I just love things that come from our garden. The recipe calls for quick cooking tapioca which I couldn't find so we just used some organic tapioca starch. It wasn't to runny, but next time I will try the quick cooking Tapioca. 


I then attempted a lattice pie top, which actually seems really confusing but I just googled a video and watched some lady do it and then I realized its actually super easy. I get all bent out of shape about pie dough but this recipe is just so good. 


So go to smitten kitchen and use this amazing recipe.





No comments:

Post a Comment