Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Meal Planning Week 1

We have been trying to eat out less and eat better in general, we are also trying to save money. This means that I have started to meal plan. I did the monthly meal plan because it allows me to do a giant shop at the beginning of the month. Then four smaller shops to stock up on dairy and fresh veggies and fruit. We are trying to cut down our meat consumption from every day to about 3 times a week. I would say we are doing alright at this. I am trying a whole bunch of new Vegetarian recipes and it's going really well. Jack is the only one who doesn't appreciate the influx of beans and vegetables in our life. He is currently adhering the beige diet, mostly cheese quesadillas and cereal and other carb rich foods.

I will post the weekly meal plan and any recipes I can. Most of the recipes are on my Pinterest board so I can easily access them on my iPhone while cooking.

Saturday June 1
Taco Salad with Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette
*note: I would use some oil or cooking spray on your bowl to mould tortillas so they don't stick while baking. Otherwise they fuse to the bowl and are impossible to get off.

Sunday June 2
Salmon with parmesan gremolata smashed potatoes and green beans

Monday June 3
Herb Roasted Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Steamed Carrots.
I used the chicken carcass to make some tasty chicken stock

Tuesday June 4
Black Bean Enchiladas

Wednesday June 5
Almond Vegetable Stir-Fry
Jack is a huge fan of broccoli and the almonds were so good. I added way more than the recipe calls for.

Thursday June 6
Bangers & Mash
This is a request from Andrew. I love chicken and apple sausage and just some regular mashed potatoes   and some steamed veggies. This is a meal I make when we don't need any left overs for lunch.

Friday June 7
Cheat Day- We went to the Cheese Board for Pizza and I made a Trader Joe's frozen meal for dinner. Sometimes I take the day off cooking.

So far we are off to a good start. Some of the recipes seem like they are pretty big for our little family, we use all the left overs for our lunches or freeze them for another meal.




1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you're posting this! We are trying to meal plan too (I was inspired to start again because of you) and are also trying to move away from meat-must-go-with-every-meal mentality.
    We made Black bean burgers, homemade wonton soup, Indonesian fried rice, butter chicken w/ curried cabbage and oyakodon bowls. Should probably go back to the vegetarian drawing board....

    ReplyDelete